Monday, September 4, 2017

Today I'm Thankful.

It's been a rough time blogwise for me-- Callahan almost drowned on a family trip to Utah and I just haven't been able to blog about it- I've started to- several times- but just couldn't do it.  I've decided to- and for that I'm thankful- thankful for my boy- and that I am finally doing this so that I can  get back to documenting our lives- because it's a great time and I love it.  Two years ago almost exactly-we were visiting Saint George- we had had a day.  Like one of those nightmare traveling stories you always hear about and hope never happens to you- after hours and hours of traveling alone with the kids-with everything going wrong that possibly could- we got to grammy's house. As always, it was a party of fun family chaos. The girls were already in their suits and swimming before I had hugged everyone hello. Callan got changed and headed to the kitchen as I went to grab a swim diaper for Cavanaugh  and put my bags in the casita. I came right back and asked where Callahan was- no one knew- I did a quick scan of the rooms around me- glanced outside at the family filled deck and after a quick headcount didn't see him- I turned to search the house- but after doing a full 360-  felt like I needed to check the pool area again.  I walked out on the deck searching for Callan- nothing. I started checking the pool that was filled with cousins and aunts and uncles-- everything went into slow motion when I saw him- he was under water- but kind of floating with his hands limply above him- I was obviously screaming for someone to save him while running to get to him as fast as I could- as I was jumping into the water I heard an adult say "no! That's Abie" (this explains why no one saved him- they thought it was Abie swimming- she loves being a mermaid) when I pulled him out he was limp.  As I got to the side Brandi helped me get him up on the deck and he was conscious-eyes open- with labored breathing- and unresponsive-- almost like he was in shock.  I carried  him into the casita asking him to look at me and answer me and set him on the counter- he could sit up and made eye contact- but still wasn't talking. Brandi came in with her stephescope and listened to his lungs while I got jason on the phone. Callahan's breathing became calmer and he said "I'm ok mommy- but I drowned." in a quiet little voice while I was talking to Jason.  After a sleepless night of me watching him and crying my eyes out in thankful prayers- he woke up fine the next morning and wasn't at all scared to jump back in the pool- though he later told me about calling for me and watching the bubbles float up to the surface and feeling worried that he couldn't breathe.  I'm so thankful for a close call and not a tradegy.

4 comments:

Brielle said...

Oh how thankful I am too that nothing happened to that boy! So scary! How lucky I am to have him as my sons best friend!

McArthur Family said...

Holy Miracle!

Jessie said...

wow! liz, i didn't know! :( sweet little foxy boy. i'm glad it was just a close call too. good thing you jumped in and got when you did. you saved your baby.

Short Haircuts said...

oh wow you have the beautiful hairstyle love your kids and god bless your angels
check the latest girls school going haircuts and styles
https://www.mrkidshaircuts.com/braids-hairstyles-easy/