Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Goodbye Fuzzball. Hello Pepper the cat

So-- we have been having a mouse problem-- for 3 weeks- it started with one-- but then it got cold and within 24 hours- my life was ratatouille. No joke- like our grand total of little furries caught is 29-- I just threw up in my mouth.  Needless to say, I've been at the edge of loosing my mind- we have 3 handyman visits- 3 exterminator visits and counting.  We've using sticky strips mouse traps-- because I value my childrens' fingers-- and their sweet spirits (when a mouse is caught on the sticky paper Jason always goes outside to "let it go free to see it's family"...into the trash can-- shh don't tell them) anyways, we had done everything short of burning the house to ground and starting over in my mind -when Jason mentioned a cat.  And so, after searching Craigslist for over a week-- the lack of free cats in columbus is baffling-- except maybe everyone needs a mouser like we do. We found a cat.  I knew I couldn't handle Fuzzball and a cat (also by this point any form of rodent- or cousin rodent- even bunnies- makes my skin crawl) so we found someone on Craigslist who wanted a free guinea pig for her 9 and 12 yr old- one was even having a birthday the next day-and did a switch in an ihop parking lot-- at the same time- it was perfect.
But not as perfect as Pepper the cat-- we love him.
Emmy loves him most. As I expected. But Jason and I are close seconds- followed by Ellie- who enjoys him.  Callan brings up the rear of the fan club as they have a bit of a love/fear relationship at the moment-- on both sides.
He is soo pretty, soft and striped.
He is the perfect blend of wild and cuddley-- chasing the girls around the house and then sleeping with them in a blink. He doesn't meow but purrs a lot.

Best friends.
And because he really wants to fit in- he is as quirky as can be-- like he takes showers and baths with the kids -- promise- he just loves water-- making him a true Frederick. 

1 comment:

Michigan Roys said...

I'm so glad you found the perfect cat! Has he caught any mice yet?